Vodka Sauce (With Shrimp & Baby Bella Mushrooms)
I have made this three times, and each time I used different tomato sauces as the base. I will share the ingredients I felt were most successful in the completion of this dish. My tip: use up what sauces you have in the kitchen pantry – the texture may be a little different each time, but it does not stop you from enjoying what you intended to do in the first place – make a delicious, home-cooked meal! 🙂
Originally found on, and adapted from, Rocco DiSpirito: http://www.oprah.com/food/Penne-Alla-Vodka
16 ounces (one 1 lb box) Barilla pipette pasta (up to preference) (The amount of sauce being made can withstand 1 1/2 boxes pasta, if you would like a higher pasta to sauce ratio)
1 jar Francesco Rinaldi Hearty Tomato sauce
1 jar Francesco Rinaldi Tomato & Basil sauce (or Traditional Tomato & Basil sauce)
1.5 oz (one shot or more) Kettle One vodka (any brand of vodka can be substituted, up to preference)
8 ounces (1 container) mascarpone cheese (Beligioso)
1/2 tsp or more ground and/or crushed red pepper, up to preference
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
6 tbsp Italian cheeses
1 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
12 or so extra large shrimp (26/30), cooked and deveined (optional)
3 Baby Bella mushrooms, washed and sliced thinly (optional)
1. In a large pot, cover salted water and allow it to boil. Cook pasta according to boxed directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium to large saucepan, heat both jars of pasta sauce on low to medium-low heat.
3. Heat through, add vodka. Stir well, and allow sauce to simmer.
4. Add spices (crushed/ground red pepper, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper).
5. Add mascarpone cheese and stir well. Sauce should be a light red color, not yet blush.
6. Spice more to taste. Too much red pepper will overwhelm your palette, so be sure not to add too much unless you are ready to sweat! As an option, add heavy cream to make more of a blush sauce.
7. Add shrimp and/or mushrooms to sauce. You can also sauté the mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil first, with a few dashes of salt, pepper, and garlic.
7. Toss cooked pasta in sauce. Mix well. Sprinkle with Italian cheeses. Enjoy!